Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fingers Shmingers

Sometimes when you brand calves they don't like to get burned and they go nuts. Then, you get the tip of your finger smashed off between the cow and the bar. Then, it takes 10 minutes to find your finger in the dirt and you go to the ER and tell the Dr to sew it back on. He puts a bandage like this on your finger...


and you have to walk around with your arm up like this to help with the pain...


and take lots of pain killers that make you really tired.

And then you have to wait 10 days to see if the tip of your finger reattaches itself or dies. If it dies, then you're left with a short finger that doesn't have a fingernail on it.

13 comments:

Ben said...

And that's why I don't brand calves. Brad I hope it reattaches...your fingers are your livelihood!

The Oylers said...

Ouch...Stupid cows. I hope you cussed it...jk. I am really hoping it reattaches...but hey look on the bright side, if it doesn't you could get a cool nick name like stubs or something cool like that. Hope we get to see you guys soon.

Allyson said...

Ouch! I can't even imagine how much that must have hurt! I hope it reattatches!

The Oylers said...

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I hope it doesn't reattatch. That would make you super cool.

-Jake

Jake said...

Sounds like you got what you deserved...besides, how do you really even fit in out in Southern Idaho with all of your fingers attached?

Erica said...

Oh my gosh! This is horrible! This is why you don't farm! I am glad that it was your pinky if I had to choose any! I hope it doesn't die!

Dan Colton said...

First, sorry to hear about your finger. Second, if it dies, that won't be so bad because then you'd only have to cut 9 finger nails and, over the years, that will free up a ton of time and you could probably take up a new hobby or something. Third, if it dies, you could have a funeral and then you could say that you went to your own funeral...I've heard a lot of people say that they'd like to do that. Anyway, it sounds like either way you win. Good luck buddy!

M.M.M. said...

oh. my. gosh.

Coby and KaeDawn said...

I'm so sorry! I hope it heals!!

Coree Adams said...

Oh man!! Poor Brad!!!

Rindi said...

Owie!! I can't even imagine! Good luck!

Scott said...

I'm glad I got to see the "un-edited" pictures. They were much cooler! Way to go Brad, you just earned yourself a bunch of tough-guy points.

Unknown said...

Someone should have kept up with violin lessons ... or just not taken them in the first place.