Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Surgery is Fun!

I wanted to thank everyone for your thoughts, prayers, well-wishes, and obituaries on my (and my finger's) behalf. As Cassi mentioned the surgery went well. I didn't get to talk to my doctor after the surgery was over (I guess he had more important things to do than to watch the anesthesia wear off (more on this in a bit)), but the nurses told me that everything went according to plan.

I decided that surgery is kind of fun, mostly (actually, only) because of anesthesia. It didn't even feel like I had surgery, just felt like I got to go take a nap at the hospital. Seriously, they're over there grinding back my pinkie bone, and I'm in la-la land. You only get this kind of fun during surgery.

I was talking to my brother tonight, and I started to remember some of the funny things that I did (or that the nurses told me I did) while under the anesthesia. As Cassi mentioned in a previous post, I really wanted to get my fingertip back because my sister-in-law is putting plans together for a fingertip funeral. My doctor, Dr. Miller, told me that they wouldn't let me take it home because, by law, they have to test everything that is removed during a surgery. But Dr. Miller also told me that if I reminded him, he would put in a request for me to be able to pick up the pinkie tip after the testing was done. So, the first thing I hear as I'm coming out of the anesthesia is the voice of my doctor in the next recovery room, talking to another patient. All that I can remember is that I really wanted to talk to him about putting in my request; I don't remember anything else. Well, one of the nurses told me later that I really must have wanted to talk to Dr. Miller, because I was yelling "Dr. Miller! Dr. Miller!" over and over for a minute or so. Apparently I wasn't loud enough, because I didn't get to talk to him (at least I don't remember talking to him). But, I found out he did put the request in for me.

Another thing that I remember from when I was "coming to" is that that I could hear the radio was playing somewhere nearby, and the song was Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman? by Bryan Adams. Great song, right? Really makes you think. So great, in fact, that it made me blurt out "Bryan Adams!" This is the first thing I actually remember saying, but then I was confused about why I would say this out loud. Maybe it's cuz Bryan Adams is such a great artist, or maybe it's cuz I have a friend named Bryan Adams and he still hasn't sent me my fajita mix. Who knows.

Either way, here's proof that Bryan Adams is a great artist.



6 comments:

Lissa said...

Maybe you shouted out Bryan Adams because you thought you were having a music contest? Can't wait to see you guys

Ben said...

That video didn't leave me convinced, Brad.

The Goodrich's said...

Thanks for a laugh, Brad, and farewell to your finger!

Kirby said...

I'm glad your surgery went well. And I can't really comment on the rest because all I can come up with are my usual smart comments...I figure since you are still recovering it would not be appropriate...but just know they are in my back pocket for later reference!

Jordy and Paiger said...

Oh gees! I just read some of your posts about the lost finger! That is really sad. My dad has a short finger with no nail on it. My dad is a NICU nurse and it works well for a quick fix pacifier with the babies in the unit. So, since you are having a little one that little finger will maybe come in handy.

Thomas said...

You know you are a phenomenal artist when you have steam coming off of your head during a performance (see 0:20). That guy is AMAZING! I feel like I'm at a stake dance again.