Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The End of an Era -- Nerd Alert!

Brad here. I want to say that I am very aware that this is a kind of a nerdy thing to post about. Very aware. So, no need to point that out in the comments.

We got this game, Othello, for Christmas a few years ago from Cassi's sister, Jamie. (On some internet sites, Othello is also known as "Reversi.") It's a strategy game (click here for "how to play"), and I thought I'd be able to hold my own. Not so. We played probably 12 times or so, and Cassi beat me every time. Very frustrating. So we put this game "away."

Fast forward a year and a few months. The game somehow got out last month when some of our neices and nephews (Jamie's kids) were here and wanted to play. I watched a few of their games and realized some of the things they were doing wrong were the same things that I did when I was playing Cassi. Keep in mind these kids are not quite 7 years old (Is Brad smarter than a 1st-grader?). So having learned a few things, I challenged Cassi to a rematch.

The game started calmly enough, but after just a few games, I had Cassi very much on the defensive, and I could almost taste sweet victory. I still had some lingering fears that she would somehow come back and make a fool out of me, but I held on for the win.

So, as if it's not nerdy enough to blog about winning a game of Othello, I had to take the next step a post a picture of my first win. (I was white.)

This may mark the end of Cassi's reign, and the beginning of a new era. Since my breakout game, I am 3-1 against Cassi. I leave you with Alexa raising the roof.

3 comments:

Coree Adams said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok...first of all. N-E-R-D! Second of all...why couldn't you just let Cassi have a game that she beats you at? GEEZ!!!

Ryan said...

Wow Brad I am so proud of you. Now that you've blogged about this, it will always be remembered as the one time you were smarter than Cassi.

The Goodrich's said...

Congrats, Brad. Ever heard of Canasta? Well, we were introduced, loved it, ran out and bought it, played in 5 nights in a row-yup, Justin beat me every night! It was so frustrating! I swore I'd never play it again! Finally, I learned some strategy and we're pretty evenly matched. So I know how you feel!