Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cailin's Ages

Since we've been over here, we've felt a lot more desire to blog.  While in Mtn Home, it felt like we were in close enough contact with everyone that blogging about our activities and experiences was redundant.  Now, however, this feels like the most natural way to share the share-worthy experiences.  Here's one involving Cailin that's moderate-to-high on the shareworthometer.

The stage: It's dinner-time, and Cassi had just left for an activity at the church.  I was asking the girls what they had done that day.  Alexa was telling me about a new friend (a boy) she had played with, and Cailin was eager to point out that Lexa's friend had a little sister Cailin's age.  Cailin struggled, but kept at it.


So here's Cailin (make sure to pronounce the "r"s like "w"s):

She four like me.  Um.  She two like me. (pause)
I four (holding up one-and-a-half-almost-two, fingers).  Um.  I two (getting two fingers all the way up).  (pause)
Just like her is four.  Um.  Just like her is two.

Here's my take:  It was so funny.  She struggled to assign the right age to her new friend, then herself, then to her new friend again.  She obviously was oblivious to how comical it was, so I had to mask my chuckling to avoid drawing her attention to it.  I went to the kitchen real quick so she wouldn't see me laughing and to find something write it down with.  Little kids are funniest when they don't know their being funny.  And Cailin is sensitive enough that my laughing may have hurt her feelings.

That leads me to point two of my take: This 15-second snippet tells you a lot about Cailin.  Cailin's stubborn and determined.  I wouldn't call her a perfectionist at this point, but she has a healthy desire to do things right.

Take one, point three:   She's observant.  She pays attention to what's happening around her and picks up on even subtle things.  Saying the wrong age of herself and her friend isn't exactly subtle, but I think it shows she was definitely paying attention to what was falling from her lips.  Sometimes I'll try to slip in incorrect or inaccurate details just to see her reaction.  Like saying "I love bananas," when we're eating cooked carrots.  She picks up on it instantly, even if it didn't look like she was paying attention.  Sometimes it's unintentional and she still gets it.  Like the other day I said "time for lunch" when it was time for dinner.  Cailin immediately says "Noooooooo, not luuuuunch!"




So, there's a little more for you to know about this sensitive, stubborn, determined, and observant two year-old.

1 comment:

moffthetoff said...

nice photo-bomb, Alexa Jo.! At least Cailin knows how old she is and isn't insisting she is 6 when she is 2 like Mitch did for a while.
She's a sharp one, that Cailin! xoxo